Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day 60 of The 365 Day Experiment. Summer, Summer, Summertime.


Summer is FINALLY here. We new Englanders pay an awfully stiff price for two, maybe two and a half good months of pristine weather. But, boy, do we max them out when they get here.
This last three nights of rain notwithstanding, I cannot wait for my kids to get out of school this Friday, marking this official beginning of summer in my household.  For the past several years, we’ve marked that day with a “double sleepover" with two sisters, friends from their earliest years.  Which got me thinking…what does this summer have in store?

I’ll be candid - this summer is going to be different than the summers I’ve known for the last two decades or so.  For the last 20+ years, I have gone to the Cape and spent nearly every weekend at my parents’ house, enjoying the beauty of the ocean and the relaxation of just getting away and spending time with friends and family.  My parents now have their beautiful home on the market - and my place of refuge is gone.  We will only spend a few days there during the Fourth of July there this year.  Gone are the days of taking my dad’s boat to Martha’s Vineyard every Sunday morning for breakfast at the Black Dog.  Gone are watching my kids fish off the dock with E.  Gone are all those weekend summer memories my kids have grown up with.

And so we will make new ones.  The three of us.  We’ve got concerts to look forward to and a big trip to Italy planned.  They’ve got special time planned with their dad which I know they are looking forward to, as well as some cool camps.  And for the first time in their lives, I’ll be without my kids for an entire week.  I’m both looking forward to the break and terribly sad at the same time.

I love summer, and I love change.  And as this summer approaches, I will remind myself I thrive on change.  This summer will feel completely different than all those I can remember in recent past, but I am going to do everything in my power to make it the best one yet.  Bring on the sun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment