’ve been known to make some impulsive purchases in my day. One of the silver linings of no longer being married is that my money is my own, and I can chose to spend it however I wish. So while I can’t be completely fiscally irresponsible, every once in awhile, I’m going to take a page out of the Risky Business handbook and sometimes just say, “what the f*ck.”
My most recent WTF purchase was floor seats to see the Stones tonight at the Garden. I’ve seen them before, in crappy seats. It’s their 50th anniversary tour, and they are my favorite band of all time. And lets face it, while Keith is going to outlive an apocalypse, Mick is going to collapse at some point. So I’m going one last time.
When I bought the tickets I had a special friend in mind to bring, but he ultimately couldn’t make it tonight. So rather than try to figure out which of my friends was worthy of an insanely ridiculously priced ticket, I decided to go a completely different route. I gave it away.
I ran a contest at work, asking people to submit in 50 words or less why they were passionate about working at our company. We got some amazing entries. And to make it fair, I blanked out the names and asked the executive team to pick their favorite. And from there, I ended up with an awesome kid from our sales operations team.
The deal is that he gets a little time with an exec, dinner, and a free concert with a legendary band with killer seats. The downside is that he is stuck going with me. Hopefully that’s not a bad thing for him.
And what do I get in return? A lot. I got the satisfaction of finding out how many people in our Boston office are truly passionate about working at our company. That’s pretty validating, given the work I do. I also get to play fairy godmother for the night. It’s pretty cool to be able to create a special moment for someone. And I aim to make this a memorable event for both of us.
So off we go. Heading to dinner, and to “pre-game.” I have no doubt me, Mick, and my magic wand are going to have a blast. And hopefully so will my concert buddy.
No comments:
Post a Comment