Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 16 of The 365 Day Experiment. You Need Passion.


In 1980, Rod Stewart sang, “You need passion.”  I was only 12, but I knew every single lyric.  I’m sure my mother was slightly concerned at the some of the content I was belting out, but I took a far deeper meaning than just the sexual innuendo he intended.  I was reminded of the song this morning, as I listened to Rod being grilled by Howard Stern (who, IMHO, is one of the best interviewers on the planet.)  Howard was probing on why Rod, at age 68, is still touring.  The man is wealthy beyond imagination, and has had a successful career that has spanned nearly 50 years.  The reason:  he’s passionate about what he does.
He, like his extraordinary friends who have also survived in the music business well beyond the average shelf life of a typical artist, (think The Stones, Bowie, Elton) is driven by passion.  Of course, they are all incredibly talented musicians.  And yes, they had some luck along the way.  But none of these people need to do what they do for financial gain any longer.  They do it because it’s in their blood.  It’s what drives them to get up in the morning, and it fuels their soul.  And what’s even more incredible is that while most people with far lesser careers still tour based on a few hits created decades long ago, this crew is still cranking out new material.  They are still that passionate about what they do.
I know this feeling.  It is how I feel about my work.  I am extraordinarily fortunate.  I was in the position after my last company where I was able to take a step back and “retire,” so I could stay home with my children, and enjoy their formative years.  And I cherished that time.  But in the core of my being, I was missing my passion.  What I do for a living isn’t a job to me.  It isn’t what pays the bills.  It is what drives me to want to wake up early and live the slightly insane existence that I do.  It drives me to want to recreate a field. It’s what shakes me awake in the middle of the night with a crazy idea I need to immediately capture on my bedroom whiteboard (I know, I have issues.)  It drives me to want to build companies that don’t just create jobs for people, but create jobs and workplaces that people are passionate about too.  
I work with people who love what they do for a living, but would clock out the day they hit the proverbial lottery.  I’m not one of those people.  What I do is core to who I am.  And while I hope not be as grizzled as the aforementioned rockers in my 60’s, I know I’ll still be going too.  It may be in a different form, but I know I will still be doing some version of the work I love.  
There’s no passion.  I need passion.
You need passion.  We need passion.
Can’t live without passion.  
Won’t live without passion.
Rod Stewart, Passion, 1980.

No comments:

Post a Comment