Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 18 of The 365 Day Experiment. What Men Should Be Good At.

Since I am only two and a half weeks into this and you already know I am not comfortable sharing (though you could call bulls*it on that claim pretty easily at this point) an old friend of mine suggested I might begin taking requests for topics. So I asked him for one. He suggested “a list of things men should be good at.” Tonight I’m feeling up for the challenge.

A female friend of his came up her list of 4 THINGS A MAN SHOULD BE GOOD AT.
1. A man should be able to fix things that break.
2. A man should be able to light a fire.
3. A man should be able to kill something if it needs to be eaten.
4. A man should be good in bed . (Actually her word was a little more direct and to the point, but I'm trying to keep this R-rated.)

She says a man might be a keeper if he meets 3 out of the 4, but #4 has to be among the list.

Her list is not bad. He shared this list with me last night, and I’ve actually thought about it over the past 24 hours and really thought about what’s important to ME. And I’m guessing it might be dramatically different for each of us.

First, commentary on her list.

1. On being able to fix things. While I’ll admit it’s sexy to know you have a guy who can fix stuff, I am more than capable of either doing it myself or picking up the phone and calling for help, so it doesn’t make my top 4.

2. A man should be able to light a fire. If I was on his team on Survivor, this would certainly make the cut, but in today’s world, I think most of us have this skill. Including the 6 year old girl who lives next door to me. Doesn’t make the list.

3. A man should be able to kill something if it needs to be eaten. Again, super handy if I was Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games and needed some additional backup support, but I’ll take the pass. This is also a little polarizing for me - part hot, part repulsive.

4. A man should be good in bed.    This is pretty subjective, but the only one in which we are in agreement. so I’ll come back to this one.

CHRISTINA’S LIST OF WHAT A MAN SHOULD BE GOOD AT:

1. A man should be good at…something. At least one thing. It doesn’t matter what that one thing is, but they should own that one thing, and just rock at it. It could be a musical instrument. It could be a sport. It could their job. It could be insane knowledge of a topic. Talent in something brings confidence. Everyone feels better about himself when he has confidence, and is bringing something to the table. Confidence and talent make anyone more appealing.

2. A man should be good in at least attempting to communicateWe all know men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, yada, yada, yada. At the end of the day, we all have our differences, and we need to respect that. But if we don’t communicate, we got nothing. Women need to learn how to not share every minute detail (helpful hint ladies: guys don’t care about the big sale we hit and the great pair of shoes we scored…save that nugget for your girlfriends) But men need to share SOME details. They hate when their women say “what are you thinking?”, but if you shared a little more readily, it would make everyone’s life easier. We all need to meet in the middle.

3. A man should know how to be a good friend. To you. To his own friends. A man who knows how to look out for others and treat people with respect and kindness is someone worth spending time with.


4. A man should be good in bed. This is the only point from above I completely agree with. And while it’s a little crass, it’s just down to the gut level, right? Hey, it’s what we were put on earth to do. So you might as well get good at it. At that doesn’t just mean drop your pants and get busy (think of Jon Hamm’s character in Bridesmaids…forget how good looking he is - no girl wants to have sex with THAT guy). Being good at this to me means a guy who is in it for both of you. Who likes to give as much as he likes to receive. Who listens and is willing to take a little constructive guidance. (works both ways, ladies) Who enjoys being in the moment and isn’t just in it to check the box. Amazingly, it might surprise you to know that while most men think they excel at this skill, most women will share with you that they do not. And men, if you re-read this paragraph, and you are aren’t truly living up to what I just suggested, give it a whirl. I promise you’ll reap the benefits from your girl.

I’m dying to know yours. Please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment