Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 17 of The 365 Day Experiment. Unlikely Friends.


Two and a half years ago, I met someone who has since become one of the most important people in my life. Ironically, I thought he was an ass during our first interaction.
We work together. I had come to interview for a then-consulting assignment at this rapidly growing firm, and I met with a variety of members of the executive team. He had been sold to me by the woman who referred me to the company as charismatic, brilliant and charming. I saw none of those things during our meeting. But I was sold on the company, and took the gig.
I don’t think it took more than about three days on the job to see what she saw. To see what everyone saw. The more time we collaborated on projects together, or sat in meetings and I got to understand his thinking process, the more I understood the man. And I became a huge fan.
Several months into my work there, I was attempting to make the difficult life decision about whether to join the company full time, or continue on with my own consulting practice. I had an amazing life with my own firm. I made more money than I do now. I worked less. I was home more. But I wasn’t as passionate. (see Day 15) When it came time to make the ultimate decision, I chose to join for two reasons. 1) I believe this company is going to be incredibly successful, and I can play a role in helping us achieve that and 2) I bet on my friend. I’ve worked with some amazing leaders, but he’s the best I’ve seen. He’s the CEO.
We are an unlikely duo. He’s almost a decade younger than me. He’s much smarter. We come from entirely different backgrounds. He’s a dude. But it doesn’t really matter. We connect on things that count to both of us. We both have a passion for constant learning. We both have an insane loyalty streak and refuse to give up before its time. We both are a little left of center. We push each other to shoot for greatness. And my personal favorite: we both share a “no drama” rule.
Professionally, he challenges me to bring my A game everyday. He gives me the latitude to create and build, and reins me in when I’m veering off the path. He provides a safety net and direction, and is incapable of micro-managing.
Personally, I have laughed and cried with this man, with zero shame. We have survived devastating personal and personnel challenges. We’ve shared inappropriate laughter after finding out we were in the wrong funeral. We’ve turned grueling business trips into trips to look forward to because it’s time to hang together.
I am fortunate to have some wonderful friends in my life. But to have one of my best friends just happen to be someone I get to work with on a daily basis - on something we are both passionate about - is a true gift. He won’t be my boss forever…but he will be my cherished friend for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment