I rushed home last night for a ridiculous holiday my daughters and I invented…it’s called “Shawna-ka”. Admittedly, it does sound like we a paying hommage to a Jewish stripper, but really, it’s to celebrate a piece of pink fabric my daughter cut off her shirt two years ago. It was a superfluous flower she deemed “stupid” (I concurred), and we snipped it. However, rather than pitch it like a normal family, we kept it. And named it. And somehow, over the past two years, this weird pink piece of mesh/netting has now taken on a life of its own.
Shawna lives in a tiny birdcage in our kitchen when she isn’t going on my business travels with me. She sometimes road trips to various locations throughout the house, and she always seems to appear on vacations with us. I’m pretty sure she might show up on our holiday card this year if Gianna has her way.
She’s become such a personality in our home that my kids decided Shawna needed her own holiday. Shawnaka was born. It is to be held on second Thursday of every May, just in case you want to mark your calendars. We celebrate by wearing something pink. Last night I sported some pink suede heels, while my daughters chose the more traditional pink shirt road. They still haven’t learned to branch out yet. You must pick a name out of a hat, and that is the person you must buy a Shawnaka gift for. It must be under $10. And we must eat pink cake.
Slightly insane, yes. But these are the things I cherish about being a mom. These are the things my kids will remember when they are my age. It’s unique to us, and allows us to be creative, fun and connect with each other all at the same time.
Our first Shawnaka was such a great success they are now trying to suggest a back to school holiday for “Paul”, a ceramic half egg shell with feet that wears a miniature knitted scarf we made him this winter (he’s got a full wardrobe) We’re thinking of calling it “Pauliday.”
No comments:
Post a Comment