Ever since I was a teenager, I’ve always looked at the bold goals I have set out to achieve and asked myself the question, ”Why not me?” I’m one of those people that truly believes that if you can dream it, you can do it. And I am acutely aware of the dedication and hard work it takes to accomplish that mission. But if others can achieve their seemingly impossible goals, I’ll be damned if I’m not going to too.
Case in point. I have the dad who set out to start his own company, which he in his mid-twenties. And it was successful. And then he did it again. And then he did it again. Now, aside from some seriously good business plans and some seriously good luck, my dad is a legitimately brilliant man. With that brain, he was smart enough to know how to surround himself with really talented people to balance out his own skill sets. That includes marrying my mother. So I grew up watching and studying, and I learned from him and the people he surrounded himself with.
So when it came time for me to create my own career, and intrigue in the form of start-ups appeared hereditary, I looked myself in the mirror and thought, “why not me?” I didn’t care that nine out of ten of them fail. I cared about the art of growing a great organization and the art of building a company where people would really want to work. I knew I could do that. And if I didn’t believe myself why should anyone else?
And so I spent years working hard to allow myself to be able to accomplish that goal and I’ve done it now. And again. And again.
I felt the same way about becoming a working mother. During my first pregnancy, I got so much well-intentioned advice about not being able to “have it all.” I called bullshit on it and said to myself, ”why not me?” I wanted it all, so I would find a way to make it work. I knew where my priorities were. I knew my kids were the most important thing In the world to me, and my career was really important as well. So I worked like hell to figure out a way to make them both work in a way that was best for me and them. And while my model has evolved over time, it works for me. And I’m not suggesting it’s graceful or pretty. But both my kids and my career get my quality time and attention, and I do both to the of best of my ability. Neither thing doubts my passion for the other, and they both respect that. I’ve learned every woman does this differently, there are no “right” answers, and we all need to make choices that work best for ourselves and our families. But for me, this version of supermom is my best self.
My most recent “why not me?” moment came while at the Pink concert about a month ago. I always loved her voice and music, but watching her perform a virtual circus act while singing, complete with silks, trapeze and other various arial stunts, I wanted in. I got home that night having enjoyed a great show - but also started researching where I could take classes to do that. Short answer: Somerville. I’ll be signing up for classes this summer. Because even though I have zero need for this skill, I think it’s pretty damn cool. And if Pink can do it, why not me?
No comments:
Post a Comment