Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 4 of the 365 Day Experiment: The Girl with the Heart Tattoo.


Let’s be honest.  The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo sounds SOOOO much more provocative, but I don’t have a dragon.  I have a heart.  And some chinese characters.  And a tribal heart.  And a tribal symbol honoring Florence. Why?
I am not a big talker.  I am one of those people that if they vocalize something, they better step up to the plate and deliver. I had always wanted one, and for whatever reason, I love hearts.  In college, my friends and I were playing some form of two truths and a lie, and my lie was “I have a heart shaped tattoo”.  People believed me.  Since it was something I had always wanted to do, I figured why not - just do it.  If people believed that was a “me” thing to do, it was meant to be.
In the late 80’s when I did this, tattoos were reserved for biker dudes and only the saltiest of ladies.  Today, every teenager walks around with what I am certain will be regrettable to them a few years from now.  But for me, the heart spoke volumes.
It spoke of independence.  I drove with my best high school girlfriend to a place in Providence, and approached the counter with faux swagger as I handed the burly guy with the leather vest and full sleeve of ink behind the counter a picture of what I wanted.  I walked out 1/2 hour later with a tiny red heart, a bandage, and a whole new confidence.  
I didn’t tell anyone.  There’s something about knowing you’ve done something just for yourself, just because you can.   I’m sure at the time I was feeling rebellious and I secretly knew it would piss my parents off (it did).  But I also thought, I’m an adult now.  It’s my body.  I’m making choices I need to live with for the rest of my life.  This is a test to see how smart I really am.  
Since that day in the late 80’s, I’ve headed back for the ink three more times.  It didn’t occur to me until I started to write this that each of those times, I was intending to make a statement of independence.  I got my second the week before I got married.  I got my third when I found out I was pregnant.  I got my last, and final one, as a tribute to my family.  Each time, I think I was saying, “I am giving you a piece of myself - but I will always be true to me”. 
Each of them is meaningful in its own way, and I took careful time to think about its design and placement.  I gave great thought to “what’s going to look really bad when I’m 60?”  Arguably, they may all look stupid to you.  E hates them. My parents hate them.  Honestly, I don’t really care who likes or hates them.  I keep them mostly hidden, and if you judge me by my tattoos alone, you’d miss out on a much bigger picture.  Ultimately, it’s my body, my art, my story.  It is remains one of the very few things in my life I don’t have to share with anyone.  It’s mine alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment