Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 48 of The 365 Day Experiment. The Other C Word.


I, like many other women, hate that ”C” word.  But almost just as much, I have another C word that generates just as much of a visceral reaction in me.  It’s COMPLACENCY.

I pride myself on being open minded, and try hard to understand what drives and motivates people of all kinds.  But I will totally own that I can’t for the life of me get my head around why some people sit back and allow themselves to play the supporting role, rather than the lead, in the movie of their lives. 
I know sometimes life can get overwhelming.  Sometimes we don’t know what direction to turn, or what we want to be when we grow up.  We often get scared to make big changes in our lives because we have no idea what would be in store for us on the other side…so we allow ourselves to settle for complete mediocrity because it’s familiar, and that at least offers some comfort rather than the fear of the unknown.  Or we don’t push ourselves to reach the next level - of whatever it is that we seek to achieve (weight loss, job goals, etc.)

My mom has wanted to go on a hot air balloon ride for as long as I have been alive.  My dad has no interest.  She has spent her life supporting his endeavors, and it’s always irked me she didn’t pursue this simple dream, just because my dad wouldn’t go with her.  So for her recent birthday, I bought her two tickets to go on one.  And I told her you are never too old to live out your dreams.  If my dad was too stubborn to go, she should bring a friend, but she should never let someone else get in her way our accomplishing HER goals.  They both  got it.  They have booked their trip.  She is thrilled, and he is supportive.  I am excited for both of them.

Life is not a dress rehearsal.  We only get one chance, so the way I look at it, we’ve got to max it out to the best of our abilities.  In whatever way that means to each of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment