There is some music that will literally stop me in my tracks. Either the lyrics or the tone of the singer’s voice grab hold of my ears and penetrate their way into my soul. Once it does, those become “my songs,” the ones burned onto the soundtrack of my life.
Of course music touches us in different ways. Sometimes we fall in love with an artist and instinctively fall in love with everything they produce. Often a couple will claim a song as their own as a way to celebrate their bond. Teams use music to fire them up, intimidate opponents and celebrate victory. Music often can make or break the mood, for whatever occasion is it being connected with. There are infinite ways it is used. But I think one’s personal connection with music is fascinating.
I wrote about my headache issue recently. (Day 29). While it may seem a counterintuitive response, when I get hit with a blinding headache, I’ll often turn the volume up. I find the song a welcome escape and the sound a distraction from the brutal stabbing in my skull. Music has become a form of non-medical pain management for me.
But I “use” music for other mood-enhancing reasons as well. If I am in a happy mood and getting ready to head out with friends, nothing puts me in a better state than a little old school Salt n’ Pepa, The Doors, or something that carries back to the memories of my youth. If I am feeling feisty, you’ll probably hear Nirvana or INXS ripping from my speakers. If I’m ”mellow”…I go back to in time to my old friends Neil Young and Bob Marley. And romantic moments always just play out better with music supporting the backdrop.
And right now, I’m finishing up the end to a really long week. It’s been a challenge, and I’m mentally drained. I’m sitting in my office cranking a playlist that’s included U2, Pink, Radiohead and Justin Timberlake. That tells me my thoughts are scattered and I need the break of the weekend.
And for whatever reason, Glitter in the Air and Creep by Radio will never fail to give me goosebumps when I hear them. So I’ll close down my day to those two songs, knowing no matter how tough my week, there are some things I can always count on to just take my breath away.
No comments:
Post a Comment