Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 33 of The 365 Day Experiment. Mile High Dud.


When I was in my 20s and got to travel for work, I thought it was SO glamorous.  The thought of heading to NYC and Munich for my clients was exciting.  Until the flights were delayed and rerouted and a quick shuttle flight became a car full of people commuting from Newark in a snowstorm late on a Friday night.  And this was pre-9/11.  Things are so much more challenging now.  
And yet, I try to find the silver linings in travel.  As much as I hate being away from my kids, a night or three away provides me with a bit of time with colleagues/friends, a glass of wine, and a good night’s sleep.  It also provides me with uninterrupted work time on an airplane - especially when I travel to LA.  While some choose to watch movies or sleep, the chance to work without the distraction of a meeting or phone call is pure bliss for me.  Except the 1/2 hour I am granting myself right now to write this. 
There is also traveling with my buddies.  We hired a new member to our executive team recently who asked during his interview, “What’s theteam really like?  Would you want to sit next to them on an airplane?”  I remember laughing at that question.I had just come back from a road trip with a few of my favorite guys, and they had made travel fun.  They go beyond co-workers.  We are true teammates, who approach this company like a mission.  And with the “work hard”, we play hard.  We can tease each other with no hurt feelings, and play quarters in airport bars when flights are delayed.  They turn work travel into a good time away.
But then there is traveling solo.  And when I do, I’m focused.  And slightly insane.  I’ve been known to do London in 24 hours.  I just did that with Seattle a few weeks ago.  I do what I have to do and get out.  And typically when I fly, I tune out.  I’m the one who’s heads down on my computer, ear buds in, listening to music.  I’m not a chit-chatter, because usually I get stuck next to someone I don’t find particularly interesting.   But recently I did.
Every so often, I am fortunate enough to get upgraded to first class.  It’s kind of useless for someone like me who doesn’t need extra leg room, but it’s still nice to feel extra special for a few hours.  I was hopping on board on a flight from LA last time out, and my phone rang. Trying to balance my bags, phone, and get in my seat, I was a bit of a spectacle.  I was also receiving a bit of crazy news from work, and trying not to be overheard as I communicated a “WTF!” type of response.  The guy seated next to me took notice.
Once the flight attendant kicked me off my phone, the guy struck up a conversation and ribbed me about my dramatic entrance.  He asked me what I did, and I shared.  I asked him what he did, and he responded with “motivational speaker.”  I quickly assumed “first class, motivational speaker, really nicely dressed.  Who is this guy?”  So I just asked.  ”Should I know you?”  And he told me.  And I started laughing.  Because we ALL know him.  And I won’t share who he is because I don’t use names - and because the story gets a little ugly.  
This man was pretty amazing.  For the first time in my life, I spent a good 4+ hours getting to know someone on a plane.  We talked about business, our families, our kids, our marriages, our careers.  I was inspired by his long term marriage.  And his career.  I’ll share that he is an former Olympic hero, who transformed himself into a successful businessman.   
We looked at each other’s iPhone pictures of our kids.  I saw a picture of the ring he bought his wife for Christmas.  I read the poetry he wrote for his family.  He heard about my breakup and asked about how my daughters were coping. I got to try on the Olympic ring.  We took funny pictures and exchanged contact info. We became fast friends.  And then his wine kicked in.
Somewhere between hour 4 and 5, my new friend became a different person.  The guy who was restoring my faith in men had gone from devoted family man to “let’s try the mile high club” man.  I was crest fallen.  I suppose if I were a different person I would have been flattered to be hit on by a famous guy.  I wasn’t.  I was pissed.  I was pissed off for his wife, who he just spent 4 hours telling me about.  I was pissed for his kids.  And I was pissed for me.  
I’m all about connecting with people.  Men, women, kids.  I love having ties to people, and finding that nugget of what binds you together.  And here, I had found someone on a plane, who I really connected with in such a rare way.  And just as quickly as it came, it went away.  I won’t go into details about what happened next, but it wasn’t pretty.  And we walked off the plane not speaking.  And as I’ve always known, famous people are just like us.  They are human too.  So it’s fine.  I forgive.  But it felt lousy.
So here I sit, on yet another flight to LA, working.  Grateful that I’m by myself, and wishing that I was traveling with my “wolf pack.” So my ear buds are back in, and they aren’t coming out - unless I sit down next to Johnny Depp or Pink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment