Okay, maybe not 69, but how about 1979? I was 10 years old without a care in the world. My summer consisted of swimming lessons in an ice cold pool at the Thoreau Club on Saturday mornings, and riding my bike with my dad to the Village Donut Shop to buy a dozen on Sundays. I always ate two lemon filled ones. I think my brother took down 3 Boston Cremes. I miss those days when calories meant nothing and those two activities equaled the sum total of my filled calendar.
I took a walk this morning, and someone ran by me wearing Coppertone. I’ll be 90 years old and I’d recognize that intoxicating scent anymore. It immediately brings me back to my childhood, and time spend on the beach, doing handstands and cartwheels on the beach with my brother.
After the runner went by, I was immediately flooded with memories of summers past. Of days were uncomplicated, and my life was as innocent as my daughters as is now. I would never want to go back in time, but I am so grateful to have such an incredible childhood to reflect on. Some of my favorite recollections:
- Leaving the house early in the morning, free as a bird to roam the neighborhood, with my mom literally ringing a triangle at the end of the day to call us home for dinner. No worries about where we were…we were just hanging out in the neighborhood, with our friends, in someone’s yard, having a great time. Parents never worried about abductions or setting up complicated play dates. You just played.
- My brother, his best friend and I holding paid concerts under our band name “The Levi Kids” for our parents and any one who dared show. Our signature hit was “Hotline” by the The Sylvers. We were too young to be embarrassed by our brazenness and lack of talent.
- The summer of 1978, when Grease came out. I cut the feet off my black tights in an attempt to make them look like Olivia Newton-John’s skin tight black pants, and my girlfriend and I spent countless hours memorizing the entire soundtrack and making up dance moves. Never went through the Xanadu or Let’s Get Physical phase…so over her by then.
- The summer I went to horse camp. I was in love with horses. I went to horse camp, and promptly got stuck with Aztec, the horse who was blind in one eye. He stepped on my foot and hurt me badly. I refused to give him up, because it wasn’t his fault.
- The summer before high school. For a number of reasons I won’t go into. I’ll sum it up with saying I got into some stuff. And I’m glad I did.
I had an awesome childhood. And they were filled with fantastic summers. And I’m going to make this summer just as fantastic.
Bring on the sun.
No comments:
Post a Comment