There are Mother’s Days and birthdays, but when it comes down to it, these days aren’t really about you. While always incredibly well intentioned, these days, while meant for you, aren’t always spent doing what you would really want to do if you had a day to yourself. So I have created a new holiday. It’s called the F-It Day.
It’s the ultimate personal day. It’s your own movable holiday, so you can choose it whenever you need it during the year. And let’s be honest. We all need one. It’s goal is simple: you are free to do whatever you want on your special day. You plan it yourself, so you ensure that the time is spend doing exactly what you want to be doing.
I conceived of this idea some months back with my assistant, when my world seemed slightly overwhelming and I just wanted one day away from work, school projects, lawyers and chaos. And I asked her to surprise me by clearing my calendar and find me just one day when I could plan this. She did, and then I ultimately had to cancel it because they day she chose just didn’t line up correctly with other events going on. Good intention, poor execution. So I am attempting to pull this off again. This time I’ve chosen the day, and I’m carefully choosing the day’s events. While I am learning to ask for help and beginning to rely more on others, this is one day that is for me. To have it work for me, I’ve got it do it the way it works best for me.
So I have chosen a Friday, right after my birthday. I picked it for a number of reasons. Two big events will have just been completed at work, and it will be a great time to step away for a day. Friday is my night without my kids, and I’ll be able sleep in that morning - a whole extra hour - and then put them on the bus. It will be good to see them that day, even if just for an hour in the morning. And I’ve filled the day with three spa services from gift cards I’ve received and haven’t used over the past year. Yep, it’s a day of pampering myself at long last.
Of course that will take up a good chunk of the day. But I’ll spend the unscheduled time that day doing good things for my soul. I’ll eat well. I’ll work out. Maybe I’ll read. I’ll cook dinner for someone special because I haven’t done that in a long time and I miss cooking big people food. And I’ll certainly find time to count my blessings.
My F-It day is two weeks away, and I can’t wait. I’ve got our entire company kickoff off next week, a board meeting the following week, and a whole bunch of daily grind in between. Just having to have the ability to know that I have one day on the horizon that is just for me - now that’s something to look forward to.
No comments:
Post a Comment