It’s been a LONG two weeks. Even my kids were anxiously looking forward to getting back to school today so they could enjoy the short two day week before another weekend break. And then BAM…a 6 pm blast. Simultaneously the landline rang, my email buzzed, and I got a text. All announcing school was closed for the next two days. Aaaarrrrggghhhh. Seriously. If I bake one more batch of cupcakes with my kids things might get ugly.
Immediately kids and teachers started posting happy notices on every social media outlet available. Working parents started scrambling to find coverage or making plans to be at home another few days. All well and good, but as far as I’m concerned, I would have loved this storm to hit in March when there is nothing going on and we could use a break - not coming off a two week bender.
The part that really irks me is how weenie-ish we are getting about these storms. They called today before the first flake fell. Really? I get it’s supposed to be bad tonight, but they couldn’t go to school for a day? These poor kids are going to end up in school until July with how easily we call for school closings these days.
And the worst part is how accessible it all is. At least make the kids sweat it out a little like we did. Half the fun of the snow day was the anticipation - was it going to happen or not?! My brother and I used to hover by the tv and listen to the newscasters READ off the closings…it wasn’t until decades later that they started scrolling them across the bottom of the screen. There was such feeling of victory when you toughed it out for 35 minutes and heard, “Clinton…Cohasset…Concord” SCORE!!!
I love snow days. I love more time off with my kids. I just wish we could pace it out a little and make them work a little harder for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment