Saturday, January 4, 2014

Day 187 of The 365 Day Experiment. Hey, Hey…Come Out and Play.

Recently I got introduced to an fantastic writer, James Altucher.  He has written a number of books and is a prolific blogger.  And in just the few things I've read by the guy, his words resonate.  

He published something recently that hit home about playing.  Essentially he wrote about how kids never loose that magic to just go outside and lose themselves in the moment.  They are creative enough to turn a stick into a sword and make that last into an all day game of battle.  

Ok, that's my interpretation of what he wrote about.  However, I've touched on this before too.  And it hits me hard, because I tend to find myself careening between the very serious and alternatively seriously screwing around.  I don't tend to ever modulate to the middle.  But for today, I'll focus on that fun, playful side.

I am grateful that I have children, who do much to inspire and ignite this in me.  I suppose it doesn't have to be this way.  I could be a stern parent with no sense of humor whatsoever, but what fun would that be for the three of us?  They play, so I play with them.  And now that they are getting older and trying to become more "adult," I find myself doing silly things, risking embarrassing them (and myself) to get a laugh out of them.  And it's always worth it; because they always laugh.  

I made a comment to someone a few days ago, as I was crafting my New Years resolutions, that "I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up." I was met with the response, "Why do you have to grow up?"  I've been thinking about that for days now.  I can physically age, but I don't really need to grow up anymore.  I can't possibly take on any more responsibilities.  In fact, I'm probably at the peak…it will say like this for a bit longer, and then decrease over the next ten years. All that says to me is that I had better not lose my childlike sense of fun and wonder or I risk being one really old grumpy old lady.  Fortunately, I have a hard time seeing that happening.

I have embraced the crow's feet.  I can deal with the grey hair.  I just can't deal with the aging attitude.  I think I'm still as playful and vibrant as I was decades ago.   Perhaps even more so.  I am guessing this has something to do with being comfortable in my own skin.  That, and the realization that  life is just too damn short not to have a good time. 

Playtime was vital to our childhood.  It prompted creativity, collaboration, even independence (remember getting sent to your room and needing to entertain yourself?) which are important skills to retain as we age too.  In my mind, the fountain of youth isn't about a tight ass and no wrinkles.  It's about keeping your sense of wonder intact.  It's about being able to see the world with fresh eyes sometimes, and never allowing yourself to get jaded.  And it's about having fun, however and whenever you can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment