Today started out rather unremarkably, except for a rather nice send off I got. I ran through my day with a series of back to back meetings, pleasantly surprised when my noon meeting was cancelled and I got to spend a few impromptu minutes with a favorite colleague grabbing some quick lunch.
And then the day turned. I had an interesting last meeting with a woman who was interested in some of the work I have developed over the years (hey, who doesn't love a little flattery through imitation) and then closed it out with a great dinner with my most "dream big" friend. I walked away from my otherwise mundane day inspired, energized and my head filled with a hundred new ideas.
And on my way home, as I hit traffic lights, I purged my email. Over 100 in my personal email box over the course of just the afternoon. Thankfully, most were spam or nonsense, and could be deleted without any attention or energy. And then one caught my eye, standing out among all the other junk that surrounded it.
It was from a cherished old friend from 20 years ago. He had reached a few days before, after receiving my holiday card. I guess he realized someone was missing from the picture this year, and felt compelled to reach out. And with a quick exchange, he sent me a thoughtful note, and I responded with a pithy message back. I also included a link to this Experiment. Since he knows much of my backstory, I thought he might find it mildly entertaining. And it would also save me the headache of having to explain what had happened and what drove me to this writing. Even when I think I'm over it and have completely moved on, I realize sometimes talking about makes me feel lousy. Like right now as I type this.
So I took the easy way out and choose to let him discover for himself. I figured he would go to Day 1, and then maybe Day 198 and be done with it, and then be able to say to me, "Hey, that was…um, interesting." Or something kind but neutral. But I certainly didn't expect what I got back.
I was greeted tonight with a true old fashioned letter. Okay, granted, it was in email, but this thing should have been written with a quill and been put on parchment paper. My friend had taken the time to reference things I had written about and refer them back to memories we had shared two decades ago. Funny recollections about my dad's indifference to him, and my brother's talent. He wrote it in the same hysterical, inappropriate tone that drew me to him all those years ago and I laughed out loud at his comments.
And then he did a complete about face and shared some incredibly sad news about one of our beloved former colleagues, who is battling brain cancer. I wanted to pull him through my phone for ending such a wonderful catch-up letter with such incredibly depressing news. And yet, that's life, right? It's full of fond memories of our pasts, but also the painful reminders of what's happening in the here and now. And hopefully, some pretty special things to celebrate along the way.
This guy made my night, and I can't wait until we catch up on the phone tomorrow to fill in the gaps. I'm so glad he's in a great place in his life with a beautiful wife and kids, as I remember him as the single guy who couldn't be farther away from that when we were good friends.
So I've found yet another benefit to having put myself out there with this Experiment. I have reconnected with so many people - and been introduced to many new ones as well - that my world feels larger. And somehow filled with just a little bit more love.
People move away, get married, change priorities in life, but true friendship remains. I have a group of people in my life that I feel like even though I haven't seen or connected to in a very long time, they have my proverbial back. And I theirs. And that feels really, really, good.
So thanks for that tonight, J. It was needed.
No comments:
Post a Comment