Monday, January 20, 2014

Day 203 of The 365 Day Experiment. The Pursuit of Happiness.

Someone I respect greatly is researching and writing about the topic of "exuberance" right now.  I love that word.  It's his word to explore, not mine right now though, so tonight, I've chosen "happiness."
This word holds deep meaning to me.  I think if I was to choose one word that was the fundamental disconnect in my marriage, it boiled down to this.  We disagreed on our definitions of happiness. 
I do not even begin to attempt to define other people's interpretations of what happiness means to them.  I can only define it for myself.  

It has absolutely nothing to do with walking around with a smile on my face all the time.  It has to with feeling fulfilled.  Like I am challenging myself.  Like I am living my life to its fullest.  I am happy when I am pushing myself beyond my comfort zone.  And I am happy when my kids are secure, laughing and thriving. 

Over the past year, at a time when one would think I'd be at one of the most unhappy periods of my life, I haven't been.  I have been happy.  Really happy.  I have been challenged like never before.  I am experiencing new things and taking advantage of my newfound independence.  I am living, and I am living life on my terms.  And my kids are indeed secure, laughing and thriving.  Life is good.

Life is not perfect.  For someone like me, I might never be satisfied.  I hold the bar incredibly high for myself.  I strive to live the best life I possibly can, every day.  It's not always smooth, but I'm happy right now.  Really happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment