Closing out the weekend with my youngest daughter's word choice, tonight I write about inspiration. It was an interesting choice by her. I can't begin to imagine what she was thinking when she selected it. But I know what jumped to my mind as soon as she said it.
I had an immediate flash of those posters from "Successories," that store that sells inspirational quotes in poster form and on mugs and other desk accessories. They are meant to motivate. They do the exact opposite to me. While I know they are well intentioned, seeing a crew team rowing in the soft amber glow of a sunrise with a definition of teamwork beneath them I suppose could be motivating.
Instead, I just view them as a lame attempt to put a band-aid on a bigger problem. Like if you hang up the poster, your team will immediately be inspired to pull together. Then again, I'm twisted that way…I tend to over-analyze the deeper root of the problem and then get overly critical of the ridiculous attempt to fix it.
So once I got past the Successories parody in my head, I really thought about the word "inspiration." I realized it's pretty deep once I really contemplated it.
To inspire someone or something, at least to me, is to establish a force or influence that moves them to want to do or create something. The ability to do that - to move someone's intellect or emotions - is incredibly special. And yet, aside from paid "inspirational speakers," I think those who truly inspire don't necessarily set out to do so.
I spent some time thinking about who inspires me, to figure out if that hypothesis makes sense. I came up with a few characteristics of the people I find inspirational. Though very different people, with very unique backstories, I think they share some interestingly similar traits.
For one, these people seems to have an authenticity all their own. Each has traveled down their own path and had to show courage, strength, perseverance, etc. They have earned their battle scars.
Secondly, they tend to think beyond themselves. Much of their time and energy and satisfaction is focused helping others to thrive.
And finally, almost all of these people are phenomenal storytellers.
You don't need to be spend a lifetime being media trained and preparing your message like Tony Robbins to inspire. Sometimes, you just need to be someone who looks fear in the face and says, "F that. This is MY life. And I will own it on my own terms, for as long as I can." Talia Joy Catellano, a beautiful 13 year old girl who succumbed to cancer last summer inspired millions of young girls through her fantastic beauty advice - and her unwavering spirit. She certainly inspired my daughters. And me.
So Gianna, I can't wait to find out what you were thinking when you selected this word. I will share one last thing with you, though. You inspire me. Your energy, humor, and constant creativity fuels my heart and soul. I can I walk in the house from a long day at work and be instantly transported to a happy place when you are around. You were put on this earth to light up a room and you do it effortlessly. Being your mom has made me tap into my silly, irreverent side, and I am very grateful for that.
http://hollywoodlife.com/2013/07/16/talia-joy-castellano-dead-cancer-covergirl-dies-neuroblastoma/
No comments:
Post a Comment