Friday, January 10, 2014

Day 193 of The 365 Day Experiment. Vitality.

Before I left work today, I asked my good friend for a word.  He thought for a moment before launching a doozy at me.  He suggested “vitality.”  I looked at him and thought, “come on, dude…seriously?”  I sat and thought about it for a few minutes.  And then we pulled up dictionary.com to make sure we actually knew the correct definition before I tackled this one.
For all the different ways it is explained, we paused at the second one listed. “Capacity for survival or for the continuation of a meaningful or purposeful existence.”    I think this was meaningful to the two of us for a variety of reasons.  A few in particular.
My friend and I shared a fairly turbulent 2013.  While I survived the end of a long marriage, he survived the joy that comes with bringing a baby into the world - and the heartbreak that comes with having that baby born very prematurely.  
Good friends already, there is something that comes with having someone in your life who is conditioned towards vitality.  I think we are drawn to each other because we share the propensity to thrive when the chips are down.  When we face challenges, either professional or personal, we both seem to want to up our game.  Over the course of the last several months, we’ve watched each other go through some pretty painful moments.  And yet, we have cheered each other on as we’ve thrived.
What amazes me about him is that I’m watching him transfer his vitality to his baby.  This beautiful child, who was given such terrible odds of survival in his earliest days is discovering new ways to flourish each day.  His father is the most dedicated and focused individual I have ever encountered.  And while there is no guarantee at this precious boy’s future, I am convinced that every incremental success he makes are directly attributed to the intense attention this man is putting into his care.  Doctors and studies be damned - his own vitality is building vitality to his baby.  And watching this occur is fueling the vitality in me.
I’m a little jaded.  I have known many impressive people in my life, but few who truly astonish me.  My friend’s vitality, especially when displayed towards his efforts towards his son, takes my breath away.
Thanks for the word suggestion, my friend.  You fuel my spirit daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment