I used to be a morning shower person, and most days, I still take a quick one before preparing myself for the day ahead. However, I have changed that up over the past year or so. I now indulge in the nightly shower. And I do treat it like an indulgence.
Forget about getting clean. Let’s assume anyone who cares about hygiene maintains some semblance of routine. Baths are waaaaay too time consuming and not at all practical for me. Not only does my large tub take far too long to fill up to be useful, I cannot wash my long hair underneath the spout in a manner that does not have me breaking my neck to do it. That, and anytime I have ever attempted to take a bath and enjoy like in the movies, I inevitably end up dropping my book in the tub and end up pissed off. Baths were not intended for girls like me.
So I get home from work, kiss the kids, and make them dinner. We talk about the day, and share stories. And when everyone is adequately caught up, I disappear. Typically, my clothes are off before I get upstairs. I can get away with this because I live in a house full of women. I turn the hall lights off though, as I am careful not to give my across the street neighbors an impromptu peep show.
Once in the privacy of my bathroom, I am in my version of paradise. This ceramic version of vacation is a retreat, even if for a quarter of an hour. And yes, I care about the environment. I recycle, and I do my best not to waste. But I will completely cop to using up my fair share of hot water on the perfect hot shower. Because I need it. I am overworked, overtired, and just plain weary by the time I drag my butt up those stairs. I don’t deal with it by attaching myself to a bottle of wine, or bitching to my friends on a daily basis. I just wash it away. And I enjoy that peace and solitude for those few precious, peaceful minutes. You know why? Because I f’ing deserve it.
And then just as I have washed the conditioner out of my hair and the scent of vanilla body wash has been rinsed, Gianna inevitably busts in to ask me to watch her imitate a piece of sushi…or something just as ridiculous. And life returns to normal. Just as it should. And I face it clean, reenergized, and with a ready smile.
No comments:
Post a Comment