Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day 258 of The 365 Day Experiment. I Used To Think Butterflies Were Stupid.

Sometimes, it doesn't take much to turn me off to something.  In the nineties. seeing Mariah Carey wearing giant butterfly rings and every other girl who dared to get some ink (still a novelty back then) sport a butterfly tattoo, I grew to detest the little critters.  

This seems odd, given they are often symbolic as a representation of change, which I so dearly embrace.  The concept I love.  The little winged guys I did not.  Until I learned of The Butterfly Effect.
In the 60's a meteorologist named Edward Lorenz presented his theory called the "Butterfly Effect" to the New York Academy of Science.  It suggested that a butterfly flapping its wings can set air molecules in motion.  This in turn can move more and more molecules of air, the gradual accumulation of which can create measurable changes in the atmosphere.  These changes  could eventually alter, delay, accelerate or even prevent a tornado on the other side of the world.  

This chaos theory has been explored and debated for years, but it still largely regarded as viable. And while I don't particularly care about its applications to weather per se, it drew me to the work of Andy Andrews, who wrote the book "The Butterfly Effect:  How Your Life Matters."  Thinking about how what we do today - every move I make - has lasting effects on how I parent, how I work, how I love, how I live - that has made me far more mindful about the decisions I make.  

Each day, when I kiss my kids goodbye and tell them I love them, or say hello to the person who hands me my coffee or thank the disgruntled person who hands me my change at the grocery story, I try to think of this.  Every single thing I do has an accumulating effect on something or someone else, for better or worse.  And it all counts.  

I am far from perfect.  I am certain I screw up just as much as I do well.  But having touch points like The Butterfly Effect to keep me on track. I'm one of those people who want make my own little contribution to the world.  I don't need grand achievements.  I want to do great work and create jobs for people who love and feel inspired by what they do.  I want to raise children who are happy, passionate and make their own mark.  And I want to make everyday count, in whatever way I can.  
I still don't like butterflies, but I do love their effect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment