Friday, March 7, 2014

Day 249 of The 365 Day Experiment. Soulmate.

"What we find in a soulmate is not something wild to tame but something wild to run with." - Robert Brault.   Hmmm, that resonates with me. 

For a very long time, I thought the term soulmate was total bulls*it.  It was a fairy tale concept that we bought because incredibly romantic films like The Notebook and Titanic were selling it.  But in reality, how many of us truly find it?  Or better yet, how many of us honestly hold out for it before we say, "this relationship is great and it doesn't get better than this?"  And at the end of the day, what the hell does the word really mean?

I was given this word tonight by someone who appears to truly believe in its meaning.  And it forced me to really explore what I think about it, and what it means to me.  So here is my interpretation.

If a soulmate were to exist, it wouldn't just be that fleeting intense infatuation that occurs during those first incredible moments of a new relationship.  You would share something profound and lasting. 

If a soulmate were to exist, you just plain get each other.  You understand how each other thinks, you can complete each other's sentences, and you can totally get inside each other's heads.  And be understanding and ok with what's in there.

If a soulmate were to exist, they love each other for who you are.  The good, the bad and the ugly.  Every relationship, even the best of them, has highs and lows.  And yet if someone is truly a soulmate, you will love each other through those times.  And you will embrace those quirky things about one another that others might otherwise find annoying.

If a soulmate were to exist, you share a passionate relationship.  That can bring an intensity that also bring highs and lows, but it's never dull.  But because together, no matter what place you are in, you are in it together.  You thrive in the positive, and you become even stronger together working through the negative.

If a soulmate were to exist, you have each other's backs.  Always.  Not in the way like your mom does.  This is the person who you can bare your soul to.  Your hopes.  Your dreams.  Your fantasies. Your everything.  When you have a success, they are your biggest champion.  And when you screw up, they support.  They are the person in your life you feel your most secure around.

If a soulmate were to exist, you can't picture your life without him/her.  Simple as that.

And after thinking all that through, I think not only do I think I ultimately believe in that, I think it's worth holding out for.  I've experienced some serious love in my life.  But I've got a lot of life left to live.  And if I'm living it to its fullest, I'm going big, or going home.  Alone.  

I'm grateful for this word tonight.  It just set the bar not only what I am looking for, but what I need.  What I realized tonight, for the first time in my life, is that "soulmate" is pretty right in line with my passionate personality.

How on earth did I miss that all these years? 

No comments:

Post a Comment