Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 247 of The 365 Day Experiment. Technology is a Tool...

Decades ago, John F. Kennedy said, "Time is a tool, not a crutch."  I'll revise that statement to replace the word "time" with "technology."

I walked into my home last night and was greeted by a barking dog and a nanny with a migraine.  My kids were both face deep in their technology.  No "hi mom."  No kisses.  And I was really bummed.

It was particularly noteworthy to me because I am really diligent about shutting down my own phone before I cross the threshold into my kitchen and hugging my kids.  I want them to see me engaged and excited to see them, and have them understand they are my priority when I get home; not still be tuned into my work day.  Plenty of time for that after they go to bed if needed.  And I want them to show me the same interest and respect.

And granted, we all stray from this path sometimes.  If they decide to watch tv and they are glued to some Nick show, I'll start writing early and my computer will remain on.  And sometimes they will pull out an iPad under the guise of "researching something" when they are really just Googling who had the prettiest dress at the Oscars.  

But we are all working hard to ensure it's used as a tool, not a crutch.  I'm teaching my daughters the importance of human relationships.  As in, "Hey, here's a thought.  Pick up the phone and call your friend and ask her over rather than sending her 37 text messages."   Or, "It's a great thing that you are going on a week long field trip in May where you aren't allowed to have any device that connects to the intranet.  Maybe you'll learn to take a deeper look at the world around you and focus on communicating in a different way."

Don't get me wrong.  I adore technology.  Steve Jobs is one of my heroes and I am an Apple fanatic.  That said, I am also someone who understands the importance of a in-person conversation.  And am reminded too often when I rely on too heavily on technology of how bad things can go.  Unintended misinterpretations, hurt feelings, total misses, etc. As much as technology can enable us, it can sometimes prompt us to become exceptionally lazy on some of the most important things in our lives - like human relationships.

So I will continue to be the quintessential iAddict. Texting quick notes and emailing updates are useful and practical in today's world. But I will never stop trying to focus on bettering my ability to connect with people when and where it really matters.  In person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment