This rainy weekend, I spent much of it with my daughters, doing things like I did when I was there age. We hit the mall for some spring shopping yesterday, and then went to a movie with friends. And there was one theme that seemed to remain constant throughout. What's old is new again. And I'm not sure that's a good thing.
First up, a visit to clothing store Forever 21. It was fairly horrifying. The entire store was filled with retro '80's clothes. There was neon, high waisted pants, and acid washed jeans. Everywhere we turned, there was something more tacky to look at. My daughters cracked up when held up a pair of denim overall shorts and said, "did girls actually wear those?!" Yes, they did. Thankfully, your mom didn't. She was too busy rockin' turquoise leopard skin pants when her parents weren't paying attention. And Guess jeans when they were.
And then today's movie was another throwback to my youth; "The Muppets Most Wanted." I loved the Muppets when I was in fourth grade, and I can understand why they continue to have appeal. Jim Henson was certainly an innovator, but it's been a long time since the novelty of the talking puppets came to life with such imagination. Even in the opening song, the characters mocked the movie by singing about how sequels are never as good as the original. They weren't kidding.
And as we drove home, it made me miss Steve Jobs. I know that sounds rather insane and random. I missed him, because I had spent my weekend looking at a bunch of throwback crap recycled from decades before. What was once interesting and unique is resurfacing again, being wheeled out for a new generation. I'll argue it's not better, or reinvented, or updated in anyway to make it fresh. It just appears like people have run out of ideas.
So it made me miss Steve Jobs and his brilliant mind. I miss knowing there was someone in this country who had an insane ability to never stop imagining what would come next for us. And even when we said, "why the hell would we even need that?!" (as I did when I first learned of the iPad) he knew we did. Steve Jobs would never be filling Apple Stores with crap he designed in the 80s or re-release a Pixar movie because his team failed to come up with another amazing idea.
I have acknowledged that I enjoy looking forward rather than looking back. However, I will always appreciate a good vintage anything. There are plenty of great movies that have stood the test of time that I love re-watching. I have a few pieces of clothing from high school and college I still have because I'd rather my girls have real "vintage" clothes from that crazy era than see them in pictures. But when I see things from days long ago resurface because it appears there is a dearth of creative ideas left in the world, that makes me incredibly sad. Enough Muppets, Smurfs, My Little Ponies and Cabbage Patch Kids. And certainly enough 80's clothes. This country used to be known for our ingenuity and innovation. I know we still have it. And I wish we had used it to figure out a way to keep Steve Jobs alive.
We are better than this crap we are putting out there. When did our bar get so low?
Rant over.
No comments:
Post a Comment