Thursday, April 24, 2014

Day 297 of The 365 Day Experiment. Surprise. Surprise.

Tonight I pulled off something I have been working on for months.  I was able to surprise my parents - totally surprise them - with a 50th anniversary party.

Their actual anniversary is in June, but given we were already in Florida visiting them and so many of their friends are here, I figured the timing would be perfect.  So I contacted a few of my mom's friends and asked them to send me the email addresses of their best friends in the area.  And then I got to work.

I didn't realize how much work it is to plan a party like this; especially when I am doing it from Boston and it's going to take place in Florida.  I didn't get to check out the venue.  The food.  The dessert.  I didn't know any of the guests except for one couple.  So I did my very best planning, and then hoped like hell something didn't go wrong.

And it worked.  Their friends kept the secret, as did my kids.  The venue was gorgeous, and the food was incredible.  (Or so I was told. I barely ate.)  The guests all commented on what a lovely party it was.  Most importantly, my parents were surprised - and very, very happy.

I hate cocktail parties.  Tonight was tough for me, in that I spent a few hours making small talk with many people I don't know.  And yet, to know that I made my parents really happy made the night really worthwhile.  What's a little uncomfortable when you are celebrating people you love who have made it 50 years together? 

Happy Anniversary, Mom and Dad.  So happy to have been able to do this for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment