Saturday, April 5, 2014

Day 278 of The 365 Day Experiment. I Got This. And So Do You.

I've often written about disciplined risk taking and continuous learning.  They are core values at my company, but they are also core values to me personally.  I probably don't focus on the "disciplined" piece on the risk taking as much in my personal life, but it doesn't matter.  These two things work hand in hand, and I've found they are pretty essential in life if you don't want to stagnate.  I don't want to stagnate.  Do you?

When we are young children, there seems as though there is no limit to our fearlessness.  We draw with abandon, happy to create and oblivious to the fact that maybe we forgot to add hands to the people we just colored.  We play hard too, caring more about the games themselves than who wins or loses them.  And we love limitlessly and unconditionally too.  We will worship our pets, our stuffed animals, our family and friends.  We are devoid of heartbreak and only know what it means to love.  
And then we grow up and somehow things shift. 

We lose some of our innocence and begin to become more cautious.  We begin to tell ourselves we can't.  We can't draw because we aren't an artist.  We can't play because we won't be the star on the team.  We can't love because we might get hurt.  

You are right.  And who cares?  

Life is meant to be lived.  Without trying, and without taking risks, we never  learn anything new.  Sometimes it is scary.  Sometimes you need a push.  But rarely, if you actually try that thing that pushes you out of your comfort zone you will say, "why did I do that?" Instead, you find pride in yourself for having taken the risk.  And sure, you might make mistakes along the way, but isn't that just part of living a full life though?

We can do pretty much whatever we want in life.  We just need to change our mindset.  When we shift our thinking from "No, I don't think I can" to "Hell yeah, I can do this" or at the very least, "I'm going to give this my very best shot." we give ourselves the ability to change our lives.  

If doesn't have to be a dramatic change.  Some of us are really happy with our lives as they are.  But there is always something to learn, to do, to try, that will help us to grow as people.  Maybe it's a dream you always had to travel somewhere.  Maybe it's a language you always wanted to learn.  

Perhaps it's a relationship you wanted to rebuild with a family member or old friend.  It doesn't really matter what it is.  Just know if you commit, and flip the switch in your mind, you will flip the switch on your life.

Since the beginning of time, people have pondered the meaning of life.  I'm not that deep.  I ponder the meaning of my life.  Not only do I seek to cram it full of as many experiences and emotions and growth as possible, but I wish to leave my fingerprints behind.  I don't aspire to fame or fortune; I just aspire to leaving the world a better place for me having lived in it.  And none of that would be possible unless I woke up everyday and saying, "I got this."

And I believe that for everyone.  People are so much stronger than they think they are.  I get so frustrated when I hear people make excuses for themselves about why they aren't living the lives they want to lead.  Especially young people, who are unmarried, and literally have no obligations except for to themselves.  We all need to be accountable to ourselves.  We can't play victim in our own lives.  Of course we all have baggage. So what?  So does everyone.  Stop making excuses and start taking some risks to move your life forward.  Yes, they won't all go well.  Stand tall, dust yourself off, and learn from them.  And then move ahead. You will be better for it.

I got this.  And so do you.  You just need to believe in yourself.  If you don't, no one else will.

No comments:

Post a Comment