Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 294 of The 365 Day Experiment. Do As I Say, Not As I Do.

I completely believe in the concept of vacations, in that they are amazingly useful as a means of recharging one's batteries, strengthening family ties and relieving stress.  While this may not come as a shock, I do not relax very well. I can't remember the last time took a vacation in the last two decades where my computer didn't come with me.   Two years ago, I ended up with a laptop tan line across my stomach because I worked at the pool so often during the trip.   I am not proud of that.

I have always pestered my team to shut off their phones and parcel out their work during their time off.  "Do as I say, and not as I do," I tell them.  And I mean it.  I realize my behavior is not normal, and not to be emulated.  And yet, it is core to who I am.  It's not that I feel like the world back at work can't go on without me.  It's that I can't shut my brain down long enough to get away from it.

The last few vacations I've taken, since it's just been the girls and I, I have taken a new approach.  I still bring my computer, and I'll still scroll through email throughout the day during downtime.  

However,  I select just one big thing to do each day.  No more than an hour, barring some emergency.  Aside from last year's Marathon Day tragedy, I've been able to stick to that.  I'll typically spend some time in the early morning before people are awake or later at night, and tear through it.  It leaves me satisfied that I've accomplished something, and can spend the rest of the time focused on enjoying the day.  

And it's highly worthwhile.  I don't get time in my "normal" life to crank through multiple books in a week.  Or take naps.  Or go for long walks that have no particular destination.  Or just enjoy the beauty of my surroundings.   And good things happen as a result.

My girls and I are laughing, a lot.  My parents and I are talking about real things, rather than the routine conversations that take place during our typical Sunday morning catch up sessions.  My mind is still going, but in different directions.  It's still on work, but new ideas keep popping up.  Vacations, as it turned out, actually do work for me aside from just an opportunity to get tan.  They reset my creativity.

So even though this isn't the vacation of my dreams, my parents are happy and my kids are enjoying the sun.  I'm doing my best to get my head clear, while filling it with new things at the same time.  And, miraculously, no one has commented on my lack of lipstick or my bikini.  Yet.  The week is still young.  

No comments:

Post a Comment