Thursday, April 17, 2014

Day 290 of The 365 Day Experiment. Touched.

I am not a religious person.  As a result, I have formed my way of interacting with the world from the values my parents raised me with.  In addition, I have added my own beliefs and values from those people and experiences I hold in high regard to follow and honor.  Put all together, I just think of it as doing my best to "do good."  Treat people the way you want to be treated yourself.  Leave the world a better place than when you came into it.  Pay it forward.  Look at the glass half full.  Try not to be a bitch.  You know, stuff like that.

Over the last two days, I have had two incredibly meaningful exchanges with people that I never saw coming.  And those unexpected moments were worth more to me than any raise, or promotion, or pretty much anything could mean to me.  These people told me something I said to them actually made a difference in their lives.  And I was floored.

I was floored because it was not my intent to do any such thing with my interactions with them.  In one case it was cheering on a friend who is attempting to achieve a goal that requires incredible discipline.  He's an incredibly well liked guy in general, and was getting a lot of public support for his undertaking.  But for whatever reason, what I wrote to him in a sign of support resonated with him.  And a few days ago, several weeks after I had sent it, he sent my words back to me as a way of sharing what they had meant to him. 

That action left me teary.  And it ended up with an interesting exchange about the impact of his action of sending my words back did to me.  What started off in my mind a few weeks ago as just a simple show of backing a friend in a goal turned into a deeply meaningful set of moments for both of us.

I'm no motivational speaker.  There is nothing unique or special about me, or the words or sentiments about what I share with people. The only notable difference perhaps might be that I am intentional about what I say in that there is true heart and intent behind them.  I am just a normal girl who believes in people.  And when I really believe in them, I like to cheer them on; because sometimes people need to know who's in their corner.  And twice this week, people took the time out of their lives to let me know that meant something to them.  And as a result, I learned they are actually in my corner. 

What an amazing feeling that is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment