I realized yesterday that I must be coming close to the halfway point of this Experiment, so I did the math. Twice, because I couldn’t believe it. Because 365 is an odd number, 182.5 marks the official middle. Let’s round that to today, Day 183. The end of a notable year. Odd, right?
I’m not typically all “oooohhhhh” about stuff like that, but that coincidence certainly made me pause. It strikes me as amazing that I’ve reached an interesting milestone in both my writing and my life. It’s time to shut the door on 2013, and look forward.
I believe we work our tails off for everything that is truly important to us in life. Nothing should be handed to us. And when and if we finally earn it, we should really appreciate it. But a little luck sprinkled in doesn’t hurt. Neither does someone in your corner cheering you on.
The biggest lesson I’ve learned in 2013 is that no matter how strong you think you might be, you can’t go it alone. We all need people in our cheering section. Mentors, coaches, teammates, life mates, friends, and even children. We are evolving into a tech-heavy world in which people connect more virtually. However nothing - nothing - replaces human interaction though. The moments that stand out the most to me as the most significant and meaningful this year have been the ones where I was unplugged and engaged. Sharing stories with my brother. Playing games with my daughters. Crying with my girlfriends. Solving problems and getting creative with my co-workers. Kissing someone special. Cheering at a ballgame.
Jony Ive might be brilliant, but he can never design an i-device for Apple that will ever be able to replace those moments.
So I look ahead, and close the door on 2013 and look forward to the open doors that are in front of me in this upcoming year. I am no psychic, but I know it’s going to be a life-changing, epic year. I am reverberating in my chair as I write this because I know I have big decisions to make in my life in just about every aspect. And I love that.
Later 2013. Glad you are over.
2014, bring it. You and me are going to do amazing things.
No comments:
Post a Comment