I spoke tonight as part of a panel at the Microsoft NERD center in Cambridge for Women in Tech. And it was kind of great.
It was great because it was held in my old Sapient building. I grew up there. I walked in and immediately felt at home, surrounded by so many familiar memories of days - and nights - spent building a company with people I adored and respected.
It was great because the other panelists were women I immediately connected with. All bright, energetic women - far younger than I - putting their stamp on the universe. As we chatted before the event started, I was inspired by their stories.
It was great because the event was packed. With women of every age…and men.
It was great because the moderator asked great questions that we were all fairly aligned on, and yet approached from very different angles.
It was great because the audience asked great questions, were engaged and really wanted to gain insight. I’ve been to meet ups before were people just come for the free food. This crowd came to play.
It was great because I learned. I was motivated and inspired by those around me. I’ll admit it was hard to get amped up to talk to people and be “on” after a long day at work tonight…and we started late. And yet, once we got going, game on. The panel had good chemistry, and the crowd made it easy for us to want to run long.
And finally, it was great because I’m seeing progress. When I joined the technology ranks out of college, the field looked vastly different. Today, we see far more women pursuing degrees and taking leadership roles. They are starting their own companies. They are making geek, chic. And someday soon, I hope, I will be sitting at a “People in Tech” panel - there will be no need to differentiate the men from the women. We aren’t there yet…but we’re getting there.
Rock on ladies…
No comments:
Post a Comment