We are building out space for our new “world headquarters” in downtown Boston. That sounds super fancy. We are only 400 people, but that really means we have a new central hub, where the majority of our people will be located. It’s pretty awesome that we are now global, and have people located all over the world. It’s time to move. We are busting at the seams in our current space, and it’s time to design a space that is decidedly “us.”
Because we are growing, at the beginning of March we will be moving to our third Boston office in the three years that I have been here. While completely inconvenient and a massive pain in the ass, that is the kind of problem you want to have. It provides the physical evidence that we are indeed growing as an organization.
With careful discussion and planning, our “new baby” is taking shape, and the team who’s been assembled to deliver it now meets on a weekly basis to discuss progress. There are a thousands details and decisions to be made. Many of which I will candidly share that I don’t give a s*it about, but know that if I don’t pay attention they will matter in the long run. I am infinitely grateful we have a super capable outside team who is passionate, talented and driven. They instill confidence what we envisioned will be what we will be walking into in February.
I walked the space yesterday, in 5 inch heels and a hard hat. Probably a poor outfit choice by me. And yet, I don’t care. Practicality has never been my strong suit. And as I wandered through the new space, envisioning where each new office would be, I thought about how much growth has taken place over the last few years. Everywhere around me. It’s kind of ironic that my company’s new space is requiring me to wear protective gear while it goes through this tremendous growth phase. Our company has been in hyper-growth mode through the three years I have been here, and we have the hard won battle scars to prove it. I feel like personally I am growing in parallel, but I don’t get the physical protection of a hard hat to buffer the ups and down that come with this continuous growth. I have been relying on humor, friendship, adrenaline and guts. Candidly, I have been applying that formula to both situations.
Maya Angelou once wrote a book, one of my favorites, titled “Wouldn’t Take Nothing for My Journey Now.” I may have some bruises, and perhaps my hard hat can protect a bit. At the end of the day, however, this journey I am on - both personally and the one I share with my 400 colleagues - is worth every scrape along the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment