Thursday, December 19, 2013

Day 172 of The 365 Day Experiment. Mushrooms…and Other Foods I Won't Eat.

I was out with friends recently and we were talking about food because I ordered a “naked hamburger.”  That meant a hamburger, well done, with nothing on it.  Just a bun.  And then I’ll throw some ketchup on it.   I don’t eat them often; less than ten a year.  Yet, I am super picky about them.  McDonalds?  No way.  If I’m going to eat one, it’s got to be from a good restaurant.  But hold the cheese.  And everything else.
The “naked hamburger was apparently not the part that was considered really odd.  My truly appalling offense was worse.  I admitted I had never had a cheeseburger before.  GASP.  I will admit about a decade ago I tried a bite, but it just confirmed what I already knew.  Melted cheese on meat just doesn’t do it for me.
There are other super normal everyday foods I won’t go near.  I would rather eat a bug than a mushroom.  There is something about their spongy texture that just absolutely makes me gag.
And then there is anything made with mayonnaise.  I have ordered dry turkey sandwiches my entire life.  Those I will add lettuce too.  But absolutely, positively no mayo.  So that means I’ve never eaten potato salad, cole slaw, or pasta salad - at least the versions made with that yukky white spackle.
Probably my oddest food turnoff is lobster and crabs.  I love shrimp, and I can eat crab meat if it’s not in the shell.  Lobster, however, I can’t go near.  It’s the cracking something out of its “house” to eat it just absolutely doesn’t work for me.  So much so if I am sitting with someone who orders one, I’ll spend the majority time looking any where but at them.  I am too easily distracted by the cracking of the shell, the pulling meat out with the fork, etc.  Yes, I’m sure I’m missing out.  But this is kind of a big deal to me. 
I am sure I have others.  But hey, we all have our issues.  At least this one typically affects only me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment