Friday, November 29, 2013

Day 153 of The 365 Day Experiment. Let The Season Begin.


I’m not a fan of malls or crowds. I’m more Cyber Monday than Black Friday. What I am a big fan of, however, is celebrating the season by showing people I care about them.  
I don’t just celebrate Christmas. I celebrate the entire month of December. The day after Thanksgiving the baking starts, and the holiday cards begin getting addressed. The kids will begin to help decorate the house and the tree will go up next weekend. There is a sense of festivity in the air; a sense of magic. A sense of love and family and friendship and everyone is just a little bit nicer to each other - perhaps a carryover from our childhoods when we were cautioned that Santa wouldn’t come if we misbehaved.
My daughters stopped believing in Santa long ago, and I’ve convinced them it’s better to know I’m “the big guy”; they got rid of the middle man, and now have a direct line to the source. And it’s great for me to challenge myself to make each Christmas full of wonder for them. As they get older, they are learning it’s not about the number of packages under the tree but the love and spirit of the season. And maybe a special surprise or two to let them know magic exists and loving parents will always kick Santa’s imaginary a**.
Today I got up, organized, and started ordering away.  I also hit a couple of smaller stores because they need love too.  And I’m almost done.  I have found a new hiding place, as I do each year, so my kids don’t find their treats should they decide to get curious.  
Thursday night I’m hosting a dinner party at my home for my team to thank them for all of their hard work throughout the year.  While dinner out in the city might be a little more convenient for everyone, this is a little more intimate - and memorable - way to celebrate all that we’ve accomplished together this year.  And it’s been a lot.  So they deserve to be honored in some special way.
I went to the craft store and gathered supplies for Friday night when my gaggle of girlfriends come over for one of our monthly events…which like likely involve more wine and laughs than getting to the activities we will be doing.  And that’s just fine.  Being together is the most important part.
And this morning, as a I woke up, I logged on and caught a creative video made by a friend who had captured the magic of the season with a bunch of his co-workers.  It was funny and special, and made with so much soul.  It was the perfect way to enter the holiday season.  It’s not even the 1st yet, but I’m already in the spirit…bring on December!

No comments:

Post a Comment