Yesterday in one of my smaller team meetings, two of my colleagues glanced up at the agenda they had prepared on their whiteboard and started nervously laughing. When I turned around to see what they were looking at, I started laughing too. There, in bold font was written "WTF." When I asked them, bluntly, "WTF, guys?" they jokingly asked permission to use the expression more often. And then they followed up the request with several well thought out - and hysterical - examples.
Sometimes being in a "people strategy" team offers you insight into some pretty interesting conversations and situations. And at the rate we are growing, at least one of us ends up at some point in the day asking ourselves, "WTF?" And thankfully, most of the time we have each other to bounce the crazy stories - and solutions - off of.
I find myself saying "WTF" a lot lately. Most of the time, it's strictly for my own entertainment purposes. Standing in line at a check out counter and seeing the cover of the tabloids using garners an outburst from me. Seeing my youngest daughter trying to imitate Fire Marshall Bill or one of her other cast of characters typically gets a similar reaction. If I'm walking through a crowd and spot a gang of teenage "prostitots" doing their best to look 20 when they are actually 12, that gets me going. So does a walking into a high end store when I am casually dressed and being treated poorly by a sales person because they assume I can't afford to buy their goods.
My favorite time to say it, however, is in the spirit that was shared in "Risky Business." Remember that famous scene where Tom Cruise's character Joel is talking to his friend Miles? Miles says to him, "Sometimes you gotta say "WTF", make your move. Joel, every now and then, saying "WTF", brings freedom. Freedom brings opportunity, opportunity makes your future. So your parents are going out of town. You got the place all to yourself."
Of course, my parents aren't around but every once in awhile I do have my place to myself. And I like my newfound freedom. Freedom does bring opportunity. And opportunity is paving the way to an even brighter future ahead.
So, with an incredible amount of responsibilities on my overfilled plate, it's nice to be able to take a deep breath every once in a while and say "WTF." I always seem the dig the outcome when I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment