One of my teams at work is attempting to achieve the outrageous. Our executive team gave them a Big, Hairy Audacious Goal this quarter. And I have no doubt that they will achieve it. They have faced hiring an insane number of people before. The thing that makes this team slightly magical, however, is that they don’t just keep pace with the volume; they are searching - and finding - amazing culture fit.
Finding exceptional talent is challenge enough. Finding exceptional talent that fits in really well to our corporate culture is beyond. We search for people who aren’t just looking to show up to a job to play a role. We are looking for people to join a cause. And to be part of that cause, you have to come to work each day ready to be agile, nimble and incredibly adaptable. I am an example of a person who thrives in an environment like this. I am rare. We need to find dozens in the next two months.
I respect my Talent Acquisition team not just because they will achieve this goal. I respect them because they will do it with the heart and passion that every team in our company embodies. They suit up for the battle each and every day and hit it hard. And they have the results to prove their efforts. And yet, when they come up for air, they are some of the funniest, nicest, best people to share down time with. I adore all of them.
And at the center of it all is their leader. A former stand up comic and wanna-be rock star, he is one of the most committed people I have ever worked with. He asks much from his team, but more of himself. And I have pushed him incredibly hard to make this team the best in the business. And he has. He’s got the awards and accolades to prove it.
It’s one thing to ask much of yourself, and achieve personal and professional goals within your own career. I was extremely fortunate at a very young age to accomplish things that I never thought I would. I have spent the last fifteen years paying that forward, and attempting to provide opportunities for my team leaders to have like the ones I did. I believe if you have smart, high aptitude people, all they need is a little direction and a safety net.
I have given this team both. And they have paid me, and our company back, approaching 400 times over. They make me incredibly proud to be part of something so high performing. Go Team!
No comments:
Post a Comment