Thursday, November 28, 2013

Day 152 of The 365 Day Experiment. I'm Thankful.



Today is Thanksgiving.  My kids are with their dad in New Jersey with his family, my brother is in LA with his family, and my parents are in Florida. And while I may be physically by myself, I do not feel alone.
Today, I will celebrate “Friendsgiving.”  A good friend who hails from London and two Kiwis and I are gathering to eat and share in the merriment this afternoon.  Eating, drinking, laughing, chilling.  No family drama, no weird dishes to avoid and fear awkwardly hurting someone’s feelings if you don’t.  Just a chance to enjoy each other’s company.  And while of course I would love to share the day with my family, I’ll be doing that at Christmas in a few short weeks. So this day to me seems a pretty terrific back up plan.  And I don’t even have to wash a dish afterwards.
Most important to me today, however, is the chance to give thanks.  I’ve been doing it in person all week to those people who are truly meaningful in my life.  Just so I have a written record of it though, here goes - along with a few others (made a bit anonymous):
I am thankful to my daughters, who challenge me to be the best person I can be, so I can be the best role model for them.  And for rising to the occasion this year with humor, flexibility and grace.  They’ve defined the word resilient, and I am so proud of them.
I am thankful to my good friends, who have “been there.”  I know they feel like they haven’t done much, but sometimes just listening is more valuable than anything.  I cherish them.  
I am thankful for my work, my company and my co-workers.  Not only am I one of those fortunate people who love what I do, I love who I do it with.  And we are doing something pretty awesome together.  As a side benefit, work and it’s amazing people served as an incredible distraction over the past year.  It’s easy to stay strong when you have something of value - kids and work - to focus on.  
I am thankful to my family. They are scattered across the land, and even though they wanted to “help” and there was nothing for them to do, they did add value.  They understood and supported.  Ultimately, that is all that was needed.
I am thankful for the fighting spirit of my friend’s premature son, and this child’s incredible “f*ck everyone, I am going to prove you all wrong” attitude.  This child is not even three months old yet and I he’s my newest hero.  I adore he and his dad, for their incredible energy and spirit.
I am thankful for my good fortune.  I have worked hard for it, but I am blessed to have a nice home, good food to eat, and clothes to wear when so many people are struggling. I’m grateful my divorce didn’t completely wipe us out as it does for so many couples. And I’m extra thankful for my shoes. I love my shoes.
I am thankful for whichever personality characteristic allows me to be me. I don’t do a lot of things well, but I am happy being myself.  And I have learned this year more than any other before, when I listen to my gut, I am almost always right.  Sometimes there is a price to pay for that, but I am willing to pay.  Life is too short to not ultimately be in your happiest place.
And finally, I am thankful for having the stamina to write every day.  It’s a grind, but it’s a good one.  I’ve learned a lot, and made some amazing connections with people - old friends and new - along the way.  What an incredible side benefit.  So thank you to all of you who have taken the time to read, comment, critique, judge, and in the majority of cases just plain care.  I am thankful to all of you for caring.
Peace, love and thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment