I signed off last night suggesting that I was in a grateful mood. Apparently, I was not elaborating. As I hoofed it down Boylston Street on my way out to begin the evening, I passed the Old South Church. Just as I was about to pass, I noticed a thin gentleman who looked about my age exiting the doors. He was carrying white plastic grocery bags.
We made eye contact and I offered him a smile. I don’t know why he chose to stop me, or why I stopped to listen. After years of living and working in cities, I have grown rather insensitive to the scams and hustles. But this man looked like he had a story. I could see it in his eyes.
So I stopped, and I listened. He told me about his four children, and his wife. How he had lost his job and had an upcoming interview lined up. He was excited to work, but knew that that job would never cover their needs. He had lined up food pantries each night to gather their daily food, and his oldest child was living with relatives who were helping out. He said he was so ashamed to ask, but was there anything I was willing to do to help him.
I stood and talked to him for a good ten minutes. During those moments, I learned he wasn’t my age. He was ten years younger. He clearly was aging with the stress and turmoil of trying to live day to day. And yet the most notable thing about this man was his big, bright smile. He smiled as he told me about his children, and about how his youngest had just learned to walk. He smiled as he told me he was excited about his job interview. And he smiled as I handed him more money than I’ve ever handed a stranger at the end of our conversation.
As I listened to this man’s story, however, I wasn’t just thinking about his struggle. I was thinking about how grateful I am. I am grateful that I had the chance to be educated, which allowed me to have a good job that pays well. I am grateful to not worry about feeding my children. I am grateful that I have a comfortable home and nice clothes to wear. Meeting him was an incredible reminder of how incredibly fortunate I am.
I rarely carrying cash anymore. I had just gone to the bank machine because I knew I was going to be paying my daughter’s allowances in the morning, and realized my wallet was literally empty. I’m convinced now that I stopped at that bank machine for a reason.
So as we said our goodbyes and parted ways, we shared a hug. I wished him luck on his interview, and told him to keep thinking positively. He thanked me for my generosity and told me I had no idea how much the gesture meant. As we parted, I said, “I believe this meeting may have meant more to me than you.” We both smiled and walked on into our very different lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment