My older daughter came home from school today filled with a sense of pride.
She has been a part of her middle school's Academic Bowl team, and they've been performing well against their competition. She's a pretty humble kid in general. However, to be asked to join other "smart kids" representing her school has done wonders for her self esteem. I am grateful to her school for allowing her the opportunity to gain confidence by challenging herself under a little pressure, among her peers. And for a family that is pretty low key about our accomplishments, I'm glad she has a sense of pride about what's doing with this. Then again, I'm a little prejudiced - I'm her mom. And I am filled with pride for her.
Pride is a funny thing for me. It's one of those completely personal emotions that has two completely different connotations depending on which lens you chose to view it through.
I typically defer to the negative side if I'm thinking of personal pride. I usually equate it with a person's inflated sense of self, their personal accomplishments, or their status. It's probably why I am more draw to people like the generally more reserved guitar players than I am to more extroverted lead singers when I think about bands I respect. It's all about the showiness and implied inflated sense of self that comes with an inflated sense of pride. In my world, humility is far more appealing.
Which is stupid.
It is stupid because you can turn pride around and look at it from a very positive angle as well. It can be associated with a sense of satisfaction and fulfilment about one's own choice's or actions. Like Chiara's pride regarding her decision to step out of her comfort zone and join the Academic Bowl; and then aid them in competing well. In no way is she bragging or lacking humility. She challenged herself to do something new that is pushing her intelligence to a new level. She has every right to be proud of that. There is no hubris. If there was, it would not be tolerated here.
And then of course there is the pride that I have never seemed to struggle with. That pride felt by a group of people; the one that brings a sense of belonging, or fulfills a sense of actions accomplished together.
It is that group and team pride that I feel zero conflict with. Maybe because it has to do with team or group as opposed to an individual? I'm not sure. I just know I feel it often.
I felt it today, as I ate lunch with a part of my team and we shared silly stories over our ridiculous chocolate filled meals. It made me realize how grateful I am to work with people I genuinely enjoy spending my time with. And to know we are all focused on building a great experience for the people of our company just makes it that much better. And that makes me proud to be leading such an fantastic team of smart, committed and passionate people.
I feel it every night I drive home from work, as I cross the Boston Marathon FINISH LINE, on Boylston St. There is not one time I do not cross that yellow line without thinking the words "Boston Strong." And it makes me proud to be from this city, with the strength, courage and sense of community people feel about being from here.
I feel it when I am watching tv, the movies or even strolling through town, and I see Italians who make the rest of us look bad. Sorry Snooki and JWow. I take a lot of pride in my heritage, and I would way rather be associated with Michelangelo, Da Vinci and even Sophia Loren than what you all are putting out there. I've got some serious Tuscan pride.
And mostly, I feel it for my children. I try very hard not to brag about my my children. Mostly, because no one outside of their grandparents ever truly wants to hear about what your kids are really up to. But I am proud of them for doing things that are building pride in themselves. And as young women, I am all for anything that will support them building a strong self of self worth and self esteem.
And I also am fairly confident they will never get too big for their britches. They have a mom who is pretty good at keeping egos in check.
No comments:
Post a Comment