Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Day 232 of The 365 Day Experiment. Lost In Translation.

There is something about being out in the world on your own that is both terrifying and awe inspiring at the same time.

I’m only in London…it’s not like I’m fending for myself in a third world country. But this morning trying to figure out how to get myself from the hotel to the office with no cash and a corporate Amex card with no “chip” proved a challenge. What is a no brainer on my home turf suddenly takes attention and focus. Neither trait is in my wheelhouse.

And as I sit on the train alone this morning and stare out at the grey sky, my first thought was, “Hey…I’m actually making this crazy life I’m trying to pull off work. My kids are at Disney, and I am able to travel abroad for work without the stress of having to worry about coverage for them this week. They are having fun, and I’m having a bit of a work adventure while they are gone.” And then a super creepy guy got on the train and sat across from me. I immediately went from my positive thoughts to “holy crap…if something happened to me here no one would know.”

Of course that’s a total exaggeration. If I didn’t show up in the office here I’m sure people would question my whereabouts. I hope.

And as I head into the office this morning on this train with the creepy man, I am grateful for my full life. While it didn’t turn out the way I expected, in some ways it has turned out so much better. I doubt I would have grown or learned or pushed myself over the past year and a half nearly as hard if my personal life hadn’t taken a sharp detour.

For some reason, I’m able to appreciate everything just a little bit more now. I take nothing for granted anymore. I sat in a London theatre last night watching Billy Elliott thinking “Wow! I’m at a London theatre!” It’s something I’ve done before, but it just felt a little more special this time. I’m not entirely sure why. Perhaps this is what gratitude means. Maybe I’m just grateful I’m happy, healthy, and my life is in a good place.

I know that should be enough. It's not.  It just lets me know it’s safe to up my game again. #feelinginvincible

No comments:

Post a Comment