Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Day 240 of The 365 Day Experiment. Forcing A Habit.

A countless number of studies have been done about how long it takes to create a habit.  21 days.  66 hours.  In the case of this Experiment, exactly 1 post.  Once I committed, I was going to be damned if I let myself quit.  Makes me wish I had chosen The 365 Day Exercise Experiment.  I'd be looking smoking hot by now - and I wouldn't have had to share my inner thoughts with the world.  Of course, that would have defeated the entire purpose.

We are introducing a Wellness program at my office, and it was introduced today.  As part of its kickoff, we were asked to participate in a survey asking us some basic questions about what motivates us from a health and wellness standpoint.  In many of the questions, I realized I answered "I need to find time to make exercise a priority."

And then I realized how stupid I was being.

I had the same number of hours in the day 240 days ago.  And somehow, I've managed to carve out 30 - 60 minutes a day to write.  30-60 minutes I never would have thought I would ever find in my insanely tight schedule.  Most nights I put my kids to bed and then open my computer and write as my last act of the day.  When I get home late at night, I force myself to do it before I go to sleep.  I am disciplined, and I am relentless.  Writing has become a habit.

So no more excuses.  I need to be healthier, and I need to get more exercise than I am getting.  So it's time to stop thinking I have no time in the day, and commit to my body like I have committed to my mind.  I need to make exercise my new habit.

Look out summer.  I'm coming for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment