I literally almost hit someone the other day. Sixteen year old Pakastani girl Malala Yousafzai, who has been garnering much attention as of late for her heroic efforts to raise awareness of women’s rights and education reform after being shot in the head by the Taliban, was getting dissed. I overheard a women in a checkout line commenting about a picture of Malala in a magazine. Her statement wasn’t about what a brave soul she was, or even a harsh jab at her Muslim religion. She remarked about the girl’s looks in a negative way. As in, if this girl was going to be featured in a People Magazine article, they should have had the decency to “glam her up” like all the other beautiful teens they promote. I was livid.
This woman’s gross ignorance and insensitivity aside, it made me stop and pause. If Malala was a physically stunning teenager, would her message be even more impactful? I’m not sure. She seems to be grabbing quite a bit of press attention as it is. Perhaps being an incredibly articulate girl who survived a bullet and was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize is enough. But what about everyone else?
Girls learn at an early age that looking their best increases their chances for a lot of things. At young ages, we embrace the ritual of wearing makeup in hopes of increasing the perception of our likability and ultimately our attractiveness. Of course, that’s assuming it’s used to enhance, rather than to overdo. There’s a fine line between enhancing your features and making yourself look like a “prosti-tot” at that age. And of course, while no make up is involved, boys have their own societal pressures to get bigger and stronger to compete.
Whether its getting more attention from a store clerk, or getting served first in a crowded bar, we’ve all seen evidence that beauty pays. No matter what gender, people tend to want to flock towards good looking people. Why? Do we think some of them will rub off on us? Do we think their looks somehow make them cooler or better people?
They don’t. In my humble opinion, people born with good looks are given an advantage; but it is a superficial one. Perhaps they are offered certain opportunities other mere mortals aren’t afforded at first. But you know who really crushes it in life? Those who are gorgeous on the inside. As I have reflected on the most successful people I know, they aren’t the best looking of people. They are people with brilliant minds, or fantastic hearts. They are incredible parents or amazing business people - or both. They haven’t needed to rely on their looks to give them an advantage; their keyed in on all the other things that make them a standout.
Of course, the most incredible combination is if a person happens to have both beauty on the inside and out. I’ve learned this is a truly unique combination. I dare say I know a few people who fit this combination. I’ll also suggest I know a few people whose insides are so stunning, it makes their external shell that much more appealing than at initial consideration.
Malala Yousafzai may not be considered beautiful in the classical sense of the word, but this girl is absolutely stunning in my book.
Malala’s inspiring interview with Jon Stewart recently:
No comments:
Post a Comment