Monday, October 7, 2013

Day 104 of The 365 Day Experiment. Amazing.


I received another word suggestion to write about from a friend yesterday. She suggested “amazing.”  The first thought that popped into my head was teachers; two in particular.   One I had in high school, and one my children have both had in elementary school.  I never use people’s real names, but in tonight’s writing I will.  These people deserve to be celebrated.
I’ll start with mine.  I grew up in Concord, MA, and attended its public schools.  While the town was known for its excellent private schools (Middlesex, Concord Academy), it also boasts one of the best pubic school systems in the state.  And yet, I was one of the uninspired kids who worked hard, but never truly loved school purely for the joy of learning.  Until I met Andrei Joseph.  
Mr. Joseph taught two classes that changed my view of the world.  In a fairly conservative environment he was novel and experiential.  He taught us with real life examples and forced us to question our own realities.
The first class I took with him was Economics.  In what remains one the most memorable educational experience of my life, he had partnered classmates into “couples” and put us on a budget.  I believe each couple was issued $15,000, $25,000 or $50,000.  My partner and I were considered affluent with the $50,000 amount.  And as we listened to each team share how they managed to feed and shelter themselves with their lesser funds, Derek and I were humiliated that we had put ourselves into debt.  We could not figure out how we would afford a vacation, college for our children, two cars, etc.  
Mr. Joseph listened, and then gave us a harsh dose of reality.  He gave the incredibly privileged kids of Concord a lesson on just how fortunate we were.  We learned how most of the country lived, and how much we took for granted.  It was embarrassing, humbling, and a highly impactful lesson.
The next year, I took a sociology class with him.  It sold me on the field as minor for college.  For one class, he invited a gay man and woman to speak to us.  Highly controversial for the 80’s.  And just as meaningful as the economics exercise.  We each had to ask them a question as part of the class, and in doing so, we gained so much insight and understanding.  A topic so many of us had been shielded from become far less taboo.  It was cutting edge and risky of him.  And yet, if classes like this were held in today’s world, I’m convinced people would be more tolerant.  It’s often the ignorance that leads us to mock and tease.  I believe this made a huge difference for a number of us and the way we thought. He was my amazing teacher who made an incredible life long impact in the way I think and see the world.
My kids have experienced their life changing teacher with the same teacher in elementary school.  We moved to Andover in part because of the quality of the school system, and have been overall pleased with the experience.  
My daughters are very different learners.  My oldest is naturally motivated, and is an eager learner.  My youngest is naturally bright, but often needs a push.  Like me at her age, she needs to be inspired.  And one incredible 5th grade teacher has been able to provide what they both need.  With all the wonderful teachers at that school, what makes her the standout?
According to Chiara, she makes each child feel like an individual and uniquely special.  Each kid gets a nickname - some which stick for years far beyond fifth grade.  She challenges the kids to make sure that they are learning, and pushing themselves to give their absolute best.  She understands their sixth grade year - the first of middle school - is going to require them to bring elevated skills, and she is determined to get each and every one of them as prepared as possible.  And the best part, she’s passionate.  She just plain loves her job.  The kids know it, the parents know it, and it shows.  She is an amazing teacher, and I’m extraordinarily grateful that both of my children have experienced Nicole Brezinski as a teacher - and so are they.  
And a special shout out to Dave Pina.  He was a few years older than I in high school, and was notable for being an incredible athlete and leader.  But he also did the school announcements everyday.  Every single morning he would end the announcements with “Have a beautiful, beautiful day.”  I have never forgotten that…and say it to my kids every day.  That simple sign off left such an amazing impact.

No comments:

Post a Comment