I was at a friend’s house for dinner tonight, and her wonderful husband asked what my week had been like. Instead of the typical, “it was good,” answer I would normally have given (because, as we’ve learned, I don’t share stuff) I decided to practice my “be proactive and share a little,” thought in practice. Better to try it out on good friends rather than just on the safety of a blog, right? So share I did. And I’ve had a hell of a week.
I had some entertaining stuff to share. The good, the bad, and the ugly. I gave only the highlights, but i was exhausted after my summary. I desperately wanted a hug all week, but what I got tonight was far greater. I got a dose of true friendship.
One of my best friends made an incredible meal for my daughters and I. Not only was it delicious, but she cooked from the heart and it showed. We shared the meal with her family. Her house was filled with laughter and warmth and love. And it was what I needed so badly after my week. It completely made my day.
And as I drove home, I thought about the last time I made someone’s day. I suppose she is not conscious that she made mine, so I will make sure she does. I would venture to guess the majority of us don’t seek to intentionally do that for someone - it’s just the outcome of a deed or action with great positive impact to the receiver. And most people that have that effect don’t make that the number one priority. They don’t seek to be heroes - they do things because they believe it is the right thing to do.
Sometimes it can be surprising a co-worker with a fresh cup of coffee when you know he is too slammed with a deadline to get it himself. It could be picking your child up from school early one day as a surprise and taking the afternoon off to spend special time with her.
I was having a rough morning the other day. On my way into work, I stepped into the elevator and an older gentleman made an incredibly kind comment to me. It made my day.
I was walking down the street a while ago carrying a bouquet of flowers. A homeless woman commented on how pretty they were. I stopped to pull one of the stems out for her, and said “enjoy.” She was shocked, and I was pleased I made her day with such a tiny gesture.
It doesn’t matter what the event is, or what led up to it. If we all make the effort to do something kind for others, what a happier, motivated world this would be. And we all have the ability to make someone’s day.
What will you do for someone tomorrow? I don’t know if I can achieve this, but a new goal for myself will be to make someone’s day, each day. Whether it’s one of my children, a good friend, my family, or a work mate, I believe it’s highly achievable without over thinking it.
Just do good. We are all capable of that.
No comments:
Post a Comment