Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Day 93 of The 365 Day Experiment. Continuous Learning.


Continuous Learning is one of the five Core Values at my company.  It partners together with Disciplined Risk Taking.  I used to think the latter was my favorite, but over time I’ve come to realize I appreciate and value them both equally. 
One of the things that makes my role at the various companies I’ve worked at rather unique is that I don’t just help create the corporate culture - I’m the living, breathing embodiment of it.  If I’m not embracing it, why would anyone else?  So yes, I not only make the proverbial Kool-Aid I ask people to drink.  I drink a whole lot of it myself.  In essence, these Core Values aren’t just something we embrace at work.  They are part of who I am in real life. 
But these two values resonate the most.  I love risk taking.  The “disciplined” piece is the part I have to work on a bit.  In my personal life, I am not overly disciplined; at work, I must exercise more thoughtfulness.  I am playing with investor’s money; other people’s careers.  But it is in those creative moments when I try out a new idea, or I “turn the puzzle upside down” and see the problem in a new way that leads me to a breakthrough moment that I am in my happiest place.  Scratch that.  It’s when I push others to reach past their OWN preconceived notions of what they are capable of that drives me the most.  When I encourage people to take a risk and put themselves out there and it pays off, they are filled with a sense of pride.  And I cheer them on.
But not all risks pay off.  By taking a risk, you are bound to fail sometimes.  As an adult, I am at peace with this notion.  As a 10 year old, I would have been mortified to risk failure.  Today, I realize my best lessons have come from the risks I’ve taken and where I have not been successful.  
Don’t get me wrong.  I love succeeding.  But I love learning too.  And over the years, I’ve gained wisdom with both the personal and professional risks that I’ve taken - especially those that didn’t end the way that I had intended. 
I’ve learned leadership and parenting lessons in this regard as well.  Having a team of people, many of whom are playing their roles for the first time as managers, is a great challenge.  You have to have the faith in them that you’ve provided enough direction and guidance that they can make decisions and operate on their own - a risk in and of itself - and live with the consequences.  And when they fall down, as is likely inevitable with someone new to a role, you help them dust themselves off and gain the learning.  I try hard to reinforce it’s okay to fail, as long as they learn from the mistake.  And then encourage them to try again with a new approach.
With my kids as well.  They are experiencing everything for the first time.  And I am a parent learning as I go.  I have mental notes of what my parents did right - and not so right - with me.  I use that as my playbook, and often push the boundaries; or take “disciplined risks” to see how far I can challenge the three of us.  The three of us going to Italy this summer - disciplined risk.  Attempting to manage being a single mom, with a big job and a big house so my kids don’t have to lose their stability?  Disciplined risk.  Continuous Learning all the way along?  Absolutely.  
I don’t have all the answers.  When I was 23,  a VP I worked with in my first job told me I was very “black and white.”  I didn’t take a lot of risks, and I wanted to know the outcome before I tried something new.   I don’t even recognize that person anymore.  I live in the grey today.  I love the grey.  It allows for adaptability, creativity, and fluidity.  And, or course, continuous learning. 
I’m grateful to have learned that.

No comments:

Post a Comment