My flight home from Austin landed late last night, and I crawled into bed at 12:45 am. My alarm rang five short hours later. Barely enough time to grab a quick shower and drive over to my ex's place to pick up my kids and drive them to school. I could have slept another few hours; as my meetings didn't start until later this morning. That wasn't an option for me. I got to spend ten minutes with my girls this morning during that ride, and they headed off to school knowing they were the most important thing on my priority list upon my return. It was a quick but no-brainer of a reunion for me.
I headed off to work not anticipating that my lunch would be interrupted by a call from the school nurse. Every parent of a school age child dreads that call. Is it going to be for an injury? DId your kid just throw up in class? Just get to the bottom line: Are they ok, or do you need to get there to pick them up STAT?
Today's call was like one I've never received. My older daughter's school nurse told me Chiara had been sitting in her office for twenty minutes or so, with her entire right leg twitching. She had tried everything to get it to stop, but with no success. This had only happened once before to Chiara, for a very brief time period, a few months ago. The nurse was at a loss for a diagnosis, so we agreed I would take Chiara to the pediatrician this afternoon. She was not allowed to go back to class, for fear of liability. Apparently her "twitching leg" was causing some angst for the people trying to figure out what was going on.
With afternoon meetings cancelled and a speed dash home, I collected my daughter and took her to the doctor. I was grateful to find her in positive spirits and in good humor about her leg. My normally very nervous kid was beginning to show signs of being my daughter. She said simply, "I'm not going to worry until there is something to worry about." That made two of us.
Two pediatricians laters, we were no farther along. I felt like we were in an episode of House, as both doctors remarked they had never seen anything like this before. As I'm thinking, "Glad we can provide you a reprieve from the normal snotty nose flu victim, ladies. Now please tell me what's wrong with my kid…," They say, "It's time to head to Children's Hospital Emergency Room. You need to see a neurologist." Fantastic.
Rinse, and repeat. Our first neurologist was literally named "Dr. House." She mocked her name as she said, "I have an entire show named after me…I shouldn't have to ask for help on this, but I have no idea what's going on here." She called in for reinforcement too. Dr. #2 had a theory we pursued, but it didn't pan out. After some drugs, a ton of tests, a bunch of bloodwork and almost eight hours, the twitching just stopped. We need to be seen for a follow up next week. It doesn't appear to be serious, and perhaps just a freak spasm. Fingers crossed.
My daughter kept saying, "Thanks for being here, Mom." It was so kind of her to appreciate my presence. What I tried to help her to understand is that I would not have been anywhere else. Yes, work and other things are important. But she and her sister will always jump to the top of the priority list - especially on a day like today. No one tells mothers how to prioritize our children. It's just what we do. (Note: This is not to suggest a father wouldn't have done exactly the same thing. There are some amazing fathers in the world. I just can't speak to that experience.)
It's been a hell of a day. I am grateful I am back safely from Austin, and reunited with my girls. I am grateful that Chiara appears to be okay and had just a completely freak occurrence today. But mostly, I am grateful I am a mom. It is the most exhausting, 24/7, emotionally and physically challenging, non-paying thing you could ever sign up for. And it's the greatest job in the world.
Happy Mother's Day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o8cxJ5kVGQ&app=desktop
No comments:
Post a Comment